Here we are going to discuss about Bursitis of knee.
Bursitis knee is inflammation of the bursa located near the knee joint. Bursa is a small pad-like, fluid-filled sac reduces cushions pressure points and friction between bones, tendons and muscles near joints.
- Frequent falls on knee.
- Complications from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis in knee.
- Sustained and frequent pressure.
- Bacterial infection of bursitis.
- Warm, squishy while touching.
- Painful while moving the knee.
In most cases, knee bursitis results repetitive injuries like sustained in works that require lot of kneeling. So symptoms may begin gradually.
- Excessive knelling like Housemaid’s knee (involves prepatellar bursa, located over the kneecap) and Vicar’s or Preacher’s knee (involves infrapatellar bursa, located below the kneecap).
- Participation in certain sports like football, cricket increase risk.
- Osteoarthritis and obesity of the patient (Anserine bursitis, affects the inner side of knee, often occurs in case of obese women with osteoarthritis)
- Injured immune system (people have medical conditions like lupus, cancer, HIV/AIDS, have a greater change of infection)
Tests to diagnose:-.
- Imaging tests-to find out the injuries, doctor may suggest the following imaging tests-
- X-ray may be useful to find the tumor, bone fracture.
- Magnetic resonance imaging produces a detailed image of structure by using radio waves and a strong magnetic field.
- Ultrasound produces sound waves to take images in real time. It may be use for visualizing the swelling part of the bursa.
If an infection is suspected in bursa, doctor may use a needle to collect the sample of the bursa fluid for testing.
Drugs and treatments:-
- Corticosteroid injection
To reduce inflammation a corticosteroid drug might be directly injected into the affected bursa by the doctor.
The doctors prescribe a course of antibiotic treatment if the knee has affected.
- Physical therapy may be referred by the doctoring sports medicine to improve flexibility by practicing right exercises.
- · Surgery is prescribed when the patient has chronic bursitis knee.
- Rest the patient’s knee by avoiding the movements,
- To reduce the warm feeling of the knee, ice pack should be applied,
- Using of a compressive wrap and elevation of knee by propping up legs are the best to reduce swelling,
- Wearing kneepads is necessary while working on knees or participating in sports may put the knees at risk. To avoid this padding is must.
- Taking regular breaks while working for a long time.